Cherry & Blueberry Paletas
It’s summer days like we’ve been seeing in New York City: sunny, balmy and 90 degrees, when I find myself wondering around the city in search of a park and an icy treat. I usually find myself at Ralph’s Famous Italian Ice. However, when it comes to summer rooftop parties with friends, I love to share my homemade paletas. Paletas are Latin American ice pops, made out of fresh fruit and can either be water based or cream based. What I love about paletas is that you can get as creative as you want, adding multiple fruits, herbs and sometimes your favorite spirit. Today’s paleta is an adaption from a blog I follow, www.lottieanddoof.com
These creamy paletas are loaded with juicy cherries and blueberries, followed up with a hint of lemon and rosemary. I’m from Texas, so the ones we are making today are “adult paletas” because they have a little kick of bourbon. Let’s get started.
- ½ cup of each: pitted cherries and blueberries
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice + zest
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite bourbon
- 1 ½ cups of 2% milk
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise for seeds, plus pod
- 1 ½ cups of sour cream
- Pit ½ cup of cherries.
- Add ½ cup of cherries, ½ cup of blueberries, powdered sugar and a sprig of rosemary to a saucepan.
- Bring this to a boil, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Lower heat, adding lemon juice and zest, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a thick consistency. Remove rosemary sprig.
- Remove from heat and add the bourbon.
- Stir and refrigerate until cooled.
- In another saucepan, combine milk, sugar, vanilla bean (split and scrap seeds in the pan + add pod) and salt in saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat until boiling and sugar dissolves. Be sure not to burn.
- Remove from heat and remove vanilla pod.
- Whisk in sour cream until mixture is completely smooth.
- Place mixture in refrigerator to cool completely.
- Pour ½ of sour cream mixture in Popsicle mold. Add a dollop of cherry mixture.
- Use a knife to gently position cherry mixture in molds.
- Add remainder of sour cream mixture to molds and top off with cherry mixture. Use knife again to evenly distribute cherry mixture in molds.
- Freeze until solid. About 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer, head outside and share with friends.
Enjoy your summer treat!